In my last post on how to write a blog post, I shared my method for writing a blog post.
Today I want to add to that a handy blog post checklist that will help make sure you don’t miss any of the blog writing steps.
I’ve also included additional post checklist steps for publishing, sharing and a few checklist tips for re-purposing your blog posts and expanding your reach.
1. Select Your Topic
- Keyword research and competition analysis
- Select your keyword
- What’s your hook?
2 Write Your Post
- Research your topic
- Create an outline
- Write your post
- Add appropriate external and internal links
- Add a Postscript (P.S.) and a strong call to action
- Edit your post
3. Wait! Before You Publish
- Check Your keyword placement and density
- Add an image and use keyword in alt tag
- Check links to be sure they work
- Write SEO title and description including your keywords in both
- Select appropriate category
- Assign post tags
- Spell and grammar Check
- Publish Post immediately or Schedule
4 After You Publish Your Post
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook (page and/or profile)
- Share on Google+
- Share on LinkedIn
- Publish excerpt to Tumblr, Posterous or other Web 2.0 platforms
- Send an email to your list about the post and ask them to share it
- Bookmark on main social bookmarking sites (Stumbleupon, Digg, Delicious, etc.)
- Comment on blogs with related topics (preferably Commentluv blogs where post will appear below your comment)
- Comment in forums with related topics
- Answers related comments in Q&A sites with link to post
- Distribute to key article directories (but rewrite sightly first)
5. Re-purpose your post for Added Reach
These are great ideas for adding a little bit of punch to your rankings and popularity soar
- Record yourself speaking the post and distribute it as a podcast
- Create slides with key points and share on Slideshare
- Record yourself talking about each point on your slides, using the article as script. Convert to video and distribute on video distribution sites like YouTube.
- Convert your post to a pdf and distribute it to your email list and/or on distribution sites such as Scribd
- Add the post to a file for inclusion in a report or e-book to publish later on. Once you have several articles on different parts of the same topic, put then together to create a report and use it to build your list, give to your affiliates, make a re-brandable guide, etc.
Enjoy! I hope this blog post checklist helps you.
Did I miss anything?