In my how to write a blog post entry I gave you my method for writing a blog post.
Today I’ve got a handy blog post checklist I’d like to give you as well that will help make sure you don’t miss any of the blog writing steps. I’ve also included additional post checklist steps for publishing, sharing and a few checklist tips for re-purposing your blog posts and expanding your reach.
1. Select Your Topic
- Keyword research and competition analysis
- Select your keyword
- What’s your hook?
2 Write Your Post
- Research your topic
- Create an outline
- Write your post
- Add appropriate external and internal links
- Add a Postscript (P.S.) and call-to-action
- Edit your post
3. Wait! Before You Publish
- Check Your keyword placement and density
- Add an image and use keyword in alt tag
- Check links to be sure they work
- Write SEO title and description including your keywords in both
- Select appropriate category
- Assign post tags
- Spell and grammar Check
- Publish Post immediately or Schedule
4 After You Pubish Your Post
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook (page and/or profile)
- Share on Google+
- Share on LinkedIn
- Publish excerpt to Tumblr, Posterous or other Web 2.0 platforms
- Send an email to your list about the post and ask them to share it
- Bookmark on main social bookmarking sites (Stumbleupon, Digg, Delicious, etc.)
- Comment on blogs with related topics (preferably Commentluv blogs where post will appear below your comment)
- Comment in forums with related topics
- Answers related comments in Q&A sites with link to post
- Distribute to key article directories (but rewrite sightly first)
5. Re-purpose your post for Added Reach
These are great ideas for adding a little bit of punch to your rankings and popularity soar
- Record yourself speaking the post and distribute it as a podcast
- Create slides with key points and share on Slideshare
- Record yourself talking about each point on your slides, using the article as script. Convert to video and distribute on video distribution sites like YouTube.
- Convert your post to a pdf and distribute it to your email list and/or on distribution sites such as Scribd
- Add the post to a file for inclusion in a report or e-book to publish later on. Once you have several articles on different parts of the same topic, put then together to create a report and use it to build your list, give to your affiliates, make a re-brandable guide, etc.
Enjoy! I hope this blog post checklist helps you.
Did I miss anything?