This year however I thought I’d try something a little different.
Instead of giving up things like chocolate, wine, candy or silly tangible things, I chose a few things you should give up that well …let’s just say are truly worth giving up
1. Give up trying to be someone you’re not. One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else. Someone will always be prettier smarter, younger, or more successful but they will never be you. Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.
2. Give up holding grudges. Holding a grudge robs us of our peace, energy and love. We become prisoners of our anger and our worst experiences. Instead allow forgiveness which lets in peace, energy and love back into our lives.
3. Give up lying. “If you don’t want to slip up tomorrow, speak the truth today.” ? Bruce Lee. Honesty is still the best policy.
4. Give up judging others. Instead look at your faults and correct them.
5. Give up being ungrateful. No matter how good or bad you have it, be thankful for each day of your life. There are so many others that are far less fortunate than you.
6. Give up the ‘easy street’ mentality. Don’t fall into the trap of looking for a ‘quick fix’. No amount of magic fairy dust replaces diligent, focused, hard work.
7. Give up being discouraged. Always look for the silver lining.
8. Give up idle gossip. Instead look for the good in others and of the world and make that your topic of conversation.
9. Give up anger. Feast on Patience and compassion for others and yourself.
10. Give up trying to be everything to everyone. You ABSOLUTELY cannot make everyone happy, so stop trying. Make just one someone happy and revel in the joy of that.
11. Give up trying to be perfect. The real world doesn’t reward perfectionists, it rewards people who get things done.
12. Give up being shy. Get out and make new friends. Introduce yourself. Network more.
13. Give up blaming others for your troubles. The extent to which you can live your dream life depends on the extent to which you take responsibility for your life. When you blame others for what you’re going through, you deny responsibility – you give others power over that part of your life.
14. Give up comparing yourself to others. No one in the entire world can do a better job of being you than you.
15. Give up waiting to do what you have always wanted to. Knowledge and intelligence are wasted without action.
16. Give up saying, “I can’t.” My Grandma always said, “There’s no such word as can’t”
17. Give up being stingy with what you have. Remember the song “You only get what you give“? It’s true! Share your wealth, your time and your treasure. Giving and doing for others is always so much more rewarding.
18. Give up thinking you’re not ready. No one ever feels 100% ready when opportunity knocks. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.
19. Give up running from your problems. No, it won’t be easy. We’re made to get upset, sad, hurt, stumble and fall. That’s the whole purpose of living – to face problems, learn, adapt, and solve them over the course of time. So face them and fix them.
20. Give up trying to do everything by yourself. You are the sum of the people you spend the most time with. If you work together, you will be far more capable and powerful than you ever could have been alone.
21. Give up buying things you don’t need. Manage your money, don’t let your money manage you. And never fool yourself into thinking wealth is measured in material things.
22. Give up trying to live up to the expectations of others. Work on it for real and exceed your own expectations. Everything else will fall into place.
23 Give up avoiding change. However good or bad a situation is now, it will change. That’s the one thing you can count on. So embrace change and realize that change happens for a reason. It won’t always be easy or obvious at first, but in the end it will be worth it.
24. Give up waiting until the last minute. Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.
25. Give up being a couch potato. Get out and move. Take a long walk or do a few jumping jacks. You’ll feel better, be healthier and think a lot clearer.
26. Give up overeating. Eat to live, don’t live to eat.
27. Give up relationships with people who bring you down. Saying “no” to right people gives you the time and resources required to say “yes” to right opportunities. Spend time with nice people who are smart, driven and like minded.
28. Give up worrying about what others think of you. Unless you’re trying to make a great first impression, don’t let the opinions of others stand in your way. What they think and say about you isn’t important. What is important is how you feel about yourself.
29. Give up spending your life in work you’re not passionate about. Life is too short . Find work you love doing.
30. Give up trying to control everything. Life is an unpredictable phenomenon. No matter how good or bad things seem right now, we can never be 100% certain what will happen next. So do you best with what’s in front of you and leave the rest to the powers above you.
31. Give up multi-tasking. Do one thing at a time. This is the best way to do things right the first time.
32. Give up thinking others are luckier than you. The harder you work, the luckier you will become.
33.Give up the noise and confusion now and then. Find time to be alone and reflect on the silence or prayer.
34. Give up making emotional decisions. Don’t let your emotions trump your intelligence. Slow down and think things through before you make any life-changing decisions.
35.Give up focusing on what you don’t want to happen. Focus on what you do want to happen. Positive thinking is at the forefront of every great success story. If you awake every morning with the thought that something wonderful will happen in your life today, and you pay close attention, you’ll often find that you’re right.
36. Give up wishing for things you don’t have. Appreciate everything you do have. Many people have far less.
37. Give up worrying about making mistakes. Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing.
38. Give up trying to fit in. Don’t mold yourself into someone you’re not. Be yourself. Oftentimes, the only reason they want you to fit in is that once you do they can ignore you and go about their business.
39. Give up avoiding risk. Everything has risk. Without it there’s no success.
40. Give up being cynical. Cynicism is an attitude of scornful or jaded negativity and leads to discouragement, gossip, harshness towards others, conspiracy theories and destroys relationships
I hope you enjoyed these as much as I did Many of these I found in lists around the web. I have no idea where they originated but I loved them!
What would you love to give up today?